Happy New Year from Remodelista! This year we’re celebrating our 10th anniversary; here’s a look back at some highlights from the decade.
- Remodelista launches with a simple idea: four design-minded friends sharing remodeling tips based on a dozen renovation experiences. The original team—Julie Carlson, Francesca Connolly, Janet Hall, and Sarah Lonsdale—meets weekly around Julie’s Mill Valley dining table. Read our original mission statement here.
- Our top post of the year is on sliding barn doors.
- We discover the work of architects like Fernlund & Logan and Ray McMakin and begin featuring full projects (this was in a time when most architects didn’t even have a Web presence).
- Remodelista wins the Apartment Therapy Homies Award for Best Home Design Blog. The New York Times takes notice: Miss Your Decor Magazine? Click Here.
- We launch our by-invitation Remodelista Architect/Designer Directory (Steve Delahoyd writes in Adweek: “The site highlights the best of the best (and if you’re familiar with Remodelista, you know their filtering abilities can often range from pretty amazing to downright otherworldly).”
- Remodelista’s Janet Hall makes an appearance on the Martha Stewart Show to discuss organizing solutions (two years later Julie Carlson makes a repeat visit to discuss biergarten style).
- In December, we host our first Remodelista Holiday Market at the Summer House in Mill Valley (we know it’s a success when dozens of readers line up in the torrential rain to gain entrance before the doors open at 10 a.m.).
- A surprise hit: Our post on black toilet paper.
- We expand our team to include our London-based architect friend Christine Chang Hanway; San Francisco-based editors Alexa Hotz and Meredith Swinehart; New York-based Margot Guralnick; and Boston-based contributing editor Justine Hand.
- Our top post of the year: 10 Easy Pieces: Architects’ White Paint Picks.
- We launch Gardenista, edited by former New York Times columnist Michelle Slatalla; the site wins a place on Time Magazine‘s 25 Best New Blogs of 2012 (“it’s about much more than just gardens and gardening; plant Gardenista in your bookmarks”). Read Michelle’s highlights at Looking Ahead, Looking Back: 5 Years of Gardenista.
- Top posts of the year include Style Counsel: Heidi Swanson’s Travel Kit and DIY: Dramatic Floor Stencils, which goes viral (fun fact: later in the year, Julie spots the stencils being applied in the entryway at the Conran shop in London).
- We publish our first book, Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home, published by Artisan Books with a foreword by Julianne Moore.
- Our top post is Remodeling 101: 5 Things to Know About Radiant Heating.
- The annual Remodelista/Gardenista Considered Design Awards launch with more than 500 projects submitted and 16 winners total.
- Top posts include Greatest Hits: 33 Top Rental Houses Featured on Remodelista.
- One of our favorite house tours ever: Living Above the Shop: Ceramic Artist Paula Greif in Hudson, NY.
- We publish our third book, Remodelista: The Organized Home: Simple, Stylish Ideas for All Over the House, a visual guide to orderly living, and launch a companion site, The Organized Home.
- Kristina Hacker joins the team as our social media expert and Fan Winston comes onboard as editor of our new Organized Home site.
Happy 2018, everyone, and thanks for a great decade at Remodelista. To help us in our future planning, we’d love to hear about your all-time favorite posts; let us know in the Comments section (and see Michelle’s highlights at Looking Ahead, Looking Back: 5 Years of Gardenista).