As a kid I dreaded the day at the end of August—usually a rainy one—when we’d pile into the car and drive to Staples for our annual back-to-school haul. This meant two things: Summer was as good as over, and all that lay ahead was the dreaded first day of school and being trapped in a classroom during perfectly good beach weather.
But over the years I’ve come to appreciate a fresh box of pencils and an attractive tape dispenser. Fortunately, there are a slew of goods on the market that are upgrades on good old-fashioned supplies—no garish colors or plastic in sight. Instead of the standard-issue back-to-school list, turn to this one, with upgrades on the classics. (P.S.: It applies to the office too.)
1. Neutral Book Cover
2. Pencils for Every Purpose
3. Slip-Free Tape Dispenser
4. Sturdy Stapler
5. Paper Clips
6. Old-School Pencil Sharpener
7. “Robust” Scissors
8. Mark-Resistant Pencil CaseMore back-to-school-and-work essentials and tips, from editors and experts:
- Beyond Bed, Bath & Beyond: 18 Dorm Room Essentials for the Back-to-School Set
- Expert Advice: 8 Ways to Create a Productivity-Enhancing Workspace
- Happier at Home: 8 Tips on How to Go Paperless
You need to login or register to view and manage your bookmarks.
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation