These first days of January, we’re looking towards new design sensibilities and seeing things with fresh eyes—and joining in the decluttering/organizing wave. Here are 12 things to know:
- Fan shared her pointers for an organized 2019 on Studio McGee’s blog this week; see her tips (buy fewer (and better) things, ditch the plastic, shop your own house) here.
- The world’s most perfect white paint? It looks a little like a glass of two percent milk.
- The houseplant bound to live a long and happy life.
- Inspired to weed out after watching Tidying Up with Marie Kondo? Here’s what you still need to know about clutter (and how to get rid of it).
- Ikea wants to help you get organized, with workshops and discounts in stores on Saturday, January 19.
- Also: The Container Store is packed, and we have a hunch why.
- New from Gwyneth Paltrow: The Clean Plate cookbook.
- Margot is planning a trip to Austin and came across the newly opened Carpenter Hotel from an Ace Hotel cofounder; the design team includes Remodelista friend architect Jen Turner.
- Coming up next month: the Stockholm Furniture Fair.
- For small-spacers: a favorite sofa upstart launches a new, diminutive version of one of its bestsellers.
- At long last, East Fork’s Atlanta shop opens its doors.
- And, a new little book explains why good design matters.
Previously in Obsessions: