Headed into the holiday season, we’re rounding up this year’s must-visit pop-ups, artful wrapping workshops, and more. Here’s a start.
- Our London correspondent Christine Chang Hanway interviews Setsuko Sato Winchester, a ceramicist and former NPR journalist, about her Freedom from Fear Yellow Bowl Project; Setsuko created 120 glazed tea bowls, one for every 1,000 people who were incarcerated in Japanese internment camps during WWII. “In 2016, Setsuko traveled across the country, photographing the bowls in a haunting series of site-specific photographs which contrast the yellow tea bowls against the background of each camp,” Christine says. Read the fascinating story at Fabulous Fabsters.
- We love the idea of Erica Tanov’s “sip and sew,” a sewing circle where you can “replace a button, mend a hole, patch your favorite jeans, or just sip wine and visit.” Stop in: It’s the first Tuesday of each month, 6 to 8 p.m., at 1827 Fourth St., Berkeley, CA.
- New from Rose Uniacke: sophisticated glassware, inspired by a Viennese art movement.
- Eco-friendly and thoughtful wrapping? Learn the art of Japanese Tenugui at this NYC workshop next week.
- Plus, check out our exclusive interview with the world’s top organizing expert in Think Like Marie Kondo: 9 Tips from the World’s Top Storage Fanatic, over on our new site, The Organized Home.
- And, a few holiday pop-ups and markets we’re popping into this month, on both coasts:
- Annie and Kristina stopped by Il Buco Vita on Bond Street in New York this week to preview their holiday pop-up, featuring vibrant tableware from Santimetre and select area makers. In the city? Stop by.
- Martyn Thompson Studio’s holiday pop-up (plus a 30 percent off sample sale) is going on now through December 17 at 88 Prince St. in NYC. Get the details.
- The Super Market is going on today and tomorrow, noon to 8, at 29 Norman Ave., in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. It’s free, with music and drinks (and Remodelista favorites FS Objects, Caroline Hurley, and more); details here.
- Margot let us know about designer and artist Muriel Favaro‘s open studio/holiday market in New Jersey, with prices for prints starting at 50 cents, artful wrapping included. It’s today and tomorrow, noon to 6, at 150 Bay St., Apt. 802, Jersey City.
- Bay Area readers: Head to the Playmountain East pop-up at Erica Tanov in Marin, open today 11-5, for beautiful Japanese housewares.
- And check out the Join Holiday Market in Oakland, California, featuring Remodelista Market alums Melanie Abrantes Designs, Yvonne Mouser, and other West Coast makers, today and tomorrow, 11-6. More info here.
Recently in Obsessions: