Among the things we’re noting this weekend, from architecture’s top prize to a new deck of playing cards.
- Bay Area readers: An opening presentation of Elsewhere, an LA-based clothing project (with an offer that includes linen napkins and circular towels) is tonight, March 10, at Berkeley gallery Mascot.
- And New Zealand readers: New York/California-based artist Maria Moyer will be at Parlour Projects in Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand, for her show, Thisness, March 21 to April 21.
- The 2018 Pritzker Prize for Architecture goes to Balkrishna Doshi, age 90, the first Indian to receive architecture’s greatest honor, as reported in the New York Times. Doshi got his start working with Le Corbusier and Louis Kahn and went on to be a pioneer of low-cost housing; “I think architecture is a backdrop to life,” he told Al Jazeera.
- Now open: the new location of Casa Perfect, the “nomadic” shoppable gallery by the Future Perfect, housed in a Hollywood Regency style house once owned by Elvis Presley.
- Save the date for Area‘s annual sale, March 22-29. Expect at least 40 percent off sheets, linens, and throws. (And, in case you missed it, see owner Anki Spets’s 20 Tips for Taking Care of Your Bedding.)
- This week in LA: the Architecture & Design Film Festival, March 14-18 at the historic Los Angeles Theatre Center.
- In the news: Plain English’s NYC showroom is opening this spring. See also In Plain English: 8 Storage Ideas to Steal from the UK-Based Kitchen Design Firm.
- The ultimate kitchen (and pantry) for the discerning chef.
- Plus: Have you signed up for our newsletters yet? Stay updated, whether you want remodeling advice or the latest products we’re coveting.
Recently in Current Obsessions: