Join us this week for a loose meander around the UK and thereabouts, with a look at new design from Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. And since we’re kicking off the issue on St. Patrick’s Day, we’ve included our favorite new whiskey tumblers handmade in Kilkenny. As always, we’ll also be investigating crucial remodeling questions, including how to source the best floor outlets–and where to take the dreamiest coffee break.
N.B.: Table of Contents is a new Monday column to fill you in on what’s what every week at Remodelista.
- We begin the week with Justine’s visit to the charmingly homemade family home of artisan and blogger Alessandra Taccia of La Casita, whose handwork is shown hanging in her kitchen in Cambridge, England. Later today also look for Kendra’s report on classic British and European industrial lighting from Trainspotters (which has also started making our favorite new stacking chair).
- An attic bath remodeled in a spectrum of greens is this week’s Steal This Look. Alexa decodes the palette and sources the essentials down to the soap dispenser. And later in the day Meredith will be presenting paint colors inspired by the pale blues and grays of the British isles.
- Where to put the outlets? It’s a question every remodeler faces. Fresh from a home renovation herself, Izabella shares her favorite floor outlet finds, including this brass example in her living room, where she hides outlets and cords under sofas and rugs. We’ll also be touring ceramic artist Lucy Dunce’s home in East Lothian, Scotland, and showcasing a standout new stationery store in Glasgow.
- Here at Remodelista we love the look of plywood–and the fact that it’s adaptable and inexpensive. But not all plywood is equal; in this week’s Remodeling 101 Christine explains how to source varieties that are formaldehyde free. On Thursday, we’ll also be presenting Eleanor Pritchard’s modern updates of traditional Welsh blankets and textiles, and visiting a cafe called Toast House.
- In Friday’s Ask the Expert column, Corin Mellor of David Mellor Design–makers of the ultimate classic modern cutlery from Sheffield–fills us in on what to look for when shopping for flatware. We cap off the week with a visit to the world’s dreamiest mobile espresso truck, shown here in Trim, County Meath, Ireland.