Remodelista began as a group of design-obsessed friends with a mission to create a new resource, a digital guide devoted to demystifying the home design experience. Now, with our first foray into print, we’ve distilled all that we’ve learned along the way into Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home. Illustrated with original photography by the talented Brooklyn-based New Zealander Matthew Williams and including a lovely introduction by one of our design idols, Julianne Moore (plus an exclusive on her newly remodeled NYC kitchen). Ordering information below.
Published by Artisan Books, Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home is now in shops nationwide; scroll down for ordering information. We hope you find the book to be both useful and beautiful, to quote William Morris.
Here’s a chapter-by-chapter guide to what you’ll find inside:
- 12 Houses We Love: A big picture tour ranging from a salt-sprayed Cape Cod cottage to an art-filled Brooklyn rental apartment to a historic London town house transformed by a powdery Farrow & Ball palette.
- A User’s Guide to Kitchens: Detailed dissections of seven great-looking, high-functioning designs, from the urban galley to the grand Californian.
- A User’s Guide to Bathrooms: Standout bathrooms explained, from a patchwork powder room in London to a Scandinavian romantic master suite in the Hamptons.
- Design Ideas: Thirty-five of our favorite fast, simple, minimum-assembly-required projects.
- The Remodelista 100: A roundup of our top utilitarian household products, including tried-and-true standbys as well as newly minted classics.
- Remodeling Reality: A definitive guide to the remodeling process, with advice and insights from members of the Remodelista Architect/Designer Directory.
- Resources We Swear By: The 278 shops we turn to for appliances, lighting, tablewares, textiles, wallpaper, and more.
- Featured Architects, Designers, and Builders: A guide to all the architects, designers, and builders who contributed to the book.
Curious to see a few spreads? Here’s a first glimpse; photos by Matthew Williams.
Above: Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home now in bookstores (that’s designer Michaela Scherrer’s dining room sanctuary on the cover).
Above: Stephanie Brechbuehler and Robert Highsmith of Brooklyn architecture firm Workstead used inexpensive hardware store and lumberyard supplies to turn their asbestos-shingled Upstate New York cottage into a Shaker-simple retreat.
Above: Here’s the Workstead living room centered by a coffee table made from a wooden cot frame. (See page 274 for how to create your own.)
Above: Robert and Stephanie’s home is filled with vintage objects that somehow look modern; we provide sourcing information and DIY tips in our Steal This Look section.
Above: In our kitchen chapter, we dissect nine household hubs, from galley to grand Californian.
Above: In our bathroom chapter, we explore and explain powder rooms, sprawling master sanctuaries, and all points in between.
Above: Design Ideas covers easy, inspired, hands-on projects (next to no hammering required). The chapter includes a look at new uses for familiar objects and a section on dealing with modern clutter.
Above: The Remodelista 100 presents enduring, life-enhancing, and often extremely affordable everyday essentials plus capsule histories, all written in the intelligent and witty prose of Ancient Industries‘ Megan Wilson.
Above: We corralled our collective knowledge on remodeling into a step-by-step, information-packed guide that answers questions like “How to Begin?” and “Is It Worth It?”.
Above: Happier at home: that’s our aim with this book. Thank you to our back cover champions, Diane Keaton, for calling the book “the first complete resource for the style-minded home remodeler” and to Rita Konig, for praising the book’s “great decorating intel.”
Remodelista: A Manual for the Considered Home is available in bookstores in the United States, Canada, the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. (If you live in Europe or Asia, you can order the book from your local Amazon site or Book Depository.)
New Zealand: To find a stockist nearest you, visit BookReps New Zealand.
Frequently asked questions
What is the Remodelista Book?
The Remodelista Book is a comprehensive guide to creating a stylish and comfortable home.
Who is the book written by?
The book is written by the editors of Remodelista, a leading design and lifestyle website.
What can I expect to find in the book?
The book covers a wide range of topics, including design ideas, remodeling tips, and product recommendations.
Is the book suitable for beginners?
Yes, the book is written with beginners in mind and provides easy-to-follow instructions.
Where can I purchase the Remodelista Book?
The book is available for purchase on the Remodelista website, as well as through major online booksellers.
Is the book available in both physical and digital formats?
Yes, the book is available in both hardcover and ebook formats.
What sets the Remodelista Book apart from other home design books?
The Remodelista Book is distinguished by its emphasis on practicality and affordability, making it accessible to a wide range of readers.
What has been the reception to the Remodelista Book so far?
The book has received enthusiastic reviews from both readers and critics, who have praised its practicality and beautiful design.