Looking for a refrigerator to fit into a tight space? These are perfect for the space-starved kitchen: full-height, counter-depth refrigerators that are slim in stature but fat with features. In no particular order, here are ten well-designed narrow refrigerators that offer generous storage while fitting into tight quarters.
What To Know About 24-Inch Refrigerators
The standard refrigerator freezer has a 36-inch waistline and generally offers between 18 and 25 cubic feet of storage space. For smaller kitchens, these roomy models are out of proportion—minivans parked in spaces made for sedans. Fortunately, several manufacturers offer what are referred to as apartment-sized or counter-depth refrigerators. Here’s how these diminutive models size up.
- Most are freestanding (though a few are designed to be built-in) and stand at typical refrigerator height, which can be anywhere from 66 to 80-plus inches (these days, fridges keep getting taller).
- Scaled to fit flush with standard kitchen counters and cabinets, these slim refrigerators are generally 24 to 27 inches deep (traditional models are about 30 to 32 inches deep) and 23.5 to 24 inches wide (a foot narrower than the average).
- Most offer a 9- to 13-cubic-foot storage capacity–only about half as much as full-size models, but far from dorm-size. Best of all, they come with most of the features offered by the top-of-the-line giants.
1. Liebherr 24-Inch with Bottom Freezer
2. Fagor 24-Inch Refrigerator
3. Bosch 500 Series
4. GE Counter-Depth
5. Blomberg (Budget Priced)
6. Haier 28-Inch French Door Model
7. LG 24-Inch Refrigerator
8. Smeg 50’s Retro Design
9. Whirlpool Smudge-Free Refrigerator
10. True Residential: 100% Refrigerator
N.B.: This post is an update; the original story ran on October 28, 2013.
Looking for more space-saving appliances? See our posts:
Finally, get more ideas on how to evaluate and choose your kitchen refrigerator in our Remodeling 101 Guide: Kitchen Refrigerators.