The other day Justine said, “I’m going for more macabre, less kitsch.” She was referring to plans for the Halloween-themed hallway she’s DIY-ing this week (stay tuned for more). Meanwhile, this is what we’ve been up to:
- Our friend Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks test-drives a recipe from the just-released Kinfolk Table; see what she has to say here. And over at Design Sponge, the team throws an autumnal dinner party celebrating Kinfold’s new book; want to a copy for yourself? Enter the D*S giveaway here (last day for entries 10/24).
- The latest from Japanese architect Sihigeru Ban: a rainforest hut built of paper tubes.
- The Weidlinger house in Wellfleet, c. 1953.
- Bauhaus on the Beach: Julie, a Cape Cod native, is hoping RM readers will join in the campaign to preserve the Weidlinger house in Wellfleet (it’s across the pond from Marcel Breuer’s own summer house). Go to Kickstarter for more information. N.B.: If you pledge $50, you’ll get a copy of Built on Narrow Land, Malachi Connolly’s documentary about the Bauhaus-inspired dune dwellings on the outer Cape (J. Hoberman’s a fan).
- Attention Seattle: renowned Japanese textile designer Reiko Sudo, noted for her innovative pieces that mix tradition with technology, is hosting a show, Celebrating Nuno Japanese Textiles, at Kobo with an opening this evening.
- After admiring London ceramicist Lubna Chowdhary’s work for a while, Christine is very excited to see that she has collaborated with West Elm, who will be opening their first London store on Tottenham Court Road in November.
- Stacey is thinking of trying this fall cocktail: Rosemary Maple Bourbon Sour via Country Living.
- Perusing the offerings at Design Within Reach’s semiannual sale.
- Impressed by the Anaí¯se fall lookbook, photographed by Brian Ferry.
- Giving in to the lurid, romantic appeal of the Southern Gothic genre with these reads via Southern Living.
- For the Halloween-obsessed: moody wallpaper from Graham & Brown via CasaSugar.
Looking for more seasonal inspiration? Sift through all our favorite Halloween-related posts in our archive.