- Spotted: an inspiring way to serve bread.
- A stripey duvet in rainbow hues.
- In Berlin on Thursday, August 31 from 6 to 9 p.m.: Stop into Reform’s showroom (Rosa-Luxemburg-Str. 23) to see their Atelier Collection in person.
- New from the prolific Kai Avent-deLeon is Che in Brooklyn, a new vegan spot (named for her son).
- The folks behind Pocoapoco are opening up their Oaxacan home for stays in October, with proceeds to benefit local arts programs. Get more info here.
- A daring garden do-over, with shades of lavender.
- And rethinking garden detritus.
Frequently asked questions
What are some ideas for summer home improvement projects?
1. Create an outdoor living space with a patio or deck
2. Refresh your kitchen with new countertops or a backsplash
3. Update your bathroom with a new vanity or shower
4. Add a fresh coat of paint to the interior or exterior of your home
5. Install a new energy-efficient HVAC system
6. Build a garden or outdoor cooking area
7. Upgrade your home's insulation for better energy efficiency
How can I make my home more energy-efficient during the summer?
1. Install ceiling fans to reduce the need for air conditioning
2. Use blackout curtains or shades to keep sunlight and heat out
3. Seal any air leaks in your home to prevent cool air from escaping
4. Plant shade trees or install awnings to block direct sunlight
5. Use programmable thermostats to regulate temperature
6. Upgrade to energy-efficient appliances and lighting
7. Utilize natural ventilation by opening windows and doors during cooler hours
What outdoor activities can I enjoy during the summer?
1. Have a barbecue or cookout with friends and family
2. Set up a backyard movie night with a projector and screen
3. Start a garden and grow your own fruits, vegetables, or flowers
4. Go for hikes or bike rides in nature
5. Have a picnic at a local park or beach
6. Try water sports such as kayaking, paddleboarding, or swimming
7. Explore nearby trails or nature reserves for outdoor adventures
How can I create a relaxing outdoor retreat for the summer?
1. Invest in comfortable outdoor furniture like lounge chairs or hammocks
2. Install string lights or lanterns for ambient lighting
3. Add a fire pit or outdoor fireplace for cozy evenings
4. Incorporate natural elements like plants, flowers, and water features
5. Create a shaded area with umbrellas or a pergola
6. Set up a soothing water fountain or pond
7. Arrange outdoor cushions and pillows for added comfort
What are some trendy summer home decor ideas?
1. Use bright and bold colors to create a vibrant atmosphere
2. Incorporate natural materials like rattan, wicker, or jute
3. Display fresh flowers or create your own indoor herb garden
4. Use tropical or beach-inspired prints and patterns
5. Embrace the 'boho' or 'coastal' style for a relaxed vibe
6. Layer different textures such as linen, cotton, or sisal
7. Add pops of metallic accents for a touch of glamour