We’ve been fans of Josh Vogel’s work since day one, when we first spied his handcarved spoons at March in San Francisco. Now the architect turned master woodworker and founder of Blackcreek Mercantile & Trading Co. is sharing his craft with the world with his new book, The Artful Wooden Spoon. Vogel instructs us on the essentials: how to choose the best piece of wood, which tools you need, and more, in this step-by-step tutorial. Beginning and advanced projects are illustrated by 225 photos, all styled and shot by Kendra and Seth Smoot, resulting in a book that, like all of Vogel’s work, is as beautiful at is it functional.
Above: The Artful Wooden Spoon is available through Chronicle Books, $24.94, and via Amazon.
Above: Samples of Josh’s many and varied spoons by Seth and Kendra Smoot.
Above: Josh sketches out a design for one of his spoons.
Above: Like the images, Josh’s words breathe life into the age-old craft of carving spoons.
Above: More inspiration. Similar handcarved spoons by Joshua Vogel are available at March, starting at $110.
Above: Josh’s tutorials teach you how to bring out the best in each piece of wood.
Above: Tools of the trade and step-by-step instructions.
Above: The process, from another angle.
Above: Finished results.
To get a personalized copy of The Artful Wooden Spoon, stop by one of Josh’s many book signings.
- Nov. 7 at SHED, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Healdsburg, CA)
- Nov. 13 at The Commons, 5-8 p.m. (Charleston, SC)
- Nov. 20 at Colette, 5-6:30 p.m. (Paris, France)
- Dec. 2 at Oblong Books, 6 p.m. (Rhinebeck, NY)
- Dec. 5 at The Golden Notebook, 4 p.m. (Woodstock, NY)
- Dec. 10 at Fair, 6:30-8:30 p.m. (NYC)
See more of Josh’s work here:
- Pared Down Simplicity: New Furniture from a Cult Woodworker
- Cutting Boards to Covet: Joshua Vogel’s New Blackline Collection
- Ten Easy Pieces: Artful Wooden Spoons
Have a Question or Comment About This Post?Join the conversation