Description from Design Within Reach
Owner of more than 400 patents, self-taught inventor Poul Cadovius constantly sought smarter solutions for everything from furniture to bus shelters to sailboats. In the mid-1940s, he devised an ingenious wall-mounted shelving system to save floor space: the Royal System (1948). After the system’s introduction, Cadovius’ three-employee firm soon became the largest furniture manufacturer in Denmark, exporting to countries worldwide. In 2010, Cadovius gave the rights to produce the design to Danish company dk3. A year later, he died at the age of 99, but the project continued under the watchful eye of his widow, Evy, who made sure it stayed true to her husband’s high standards. The most successful furniture collection in Denmark for three decades, the Royal System is back in production and available only at DWR. Use it in entryways, living rooms, kitchens, dining rooms, bedrooms – wherever you want to lift space-stealing furniture off the floor and have more room for living. All pieces are finely crafted using time-honored techniques perfected over centuries by Danish woodworkers. Assembly not included with White Glove delivery service. Made in Denmark.
- Shelves will flex very slightly over time but will still retain their structural integrity. We recommend a weight limit of 35 pounds per shelf to maintain a straight profile.
- Unit C includes a set of three drawers and a cabinet, both of which can be mounted anywhere on the rails.
- Widen Unit A, B or C by adding the Extension Unit.
- DWR Exclusive
- Materials : Solid walnut or soaped oak rails; MDF with walnut or soaped oak veneer shelves, drawers and cabinet; raw brass hangers (with walnut, meant to patina over time) or stainless steel hangers (with oak).
- Measurements : H 78.75″ W 95.75″ D 15″, Shelf depth: 9.5″