5 Foraged (and Free) Decorating Ideas from the Archives
Photograph by Justine Hand for Remodelista
Over the years, we've come up with low- (or zero-) cost tricks to spruce up the house for the holidays, all of them natural, low-impact (often making use of scraps or fallen sprigs), and—most often—free. Here are a few favorite ideas.
1. Clare makes the case that a single leaf or stem makes a simple—but beguiling—winter place setting.
Photograph by Sarah Statham
2. Justine found that fallen leaves, seed pods, nuts, and pinecones, touched up with just the tiniest bit of metallic paint, add a dash of glitz.
Photograph by Justine Hand
3. Berry bunch as tree topper.
Photograph by John Merkl.
4. From Gardenista contributor Kendra: Berries and botanicals encased in ice make ethereal winter herbariums.
5. No need for a garland: Per Alexa, a bundle of slightly wonky branches make for an instant centerpiece—string lights optional.