Eames Aluminum Side Chair
When Charles and Ray Eames designed the Eames Aluminum Management Chair and Side Chair (1958), they created a revolution in seating that has lost none of its edge. These chairs were originally developed as a special project for a private residence being designed by Eero Saarinen and Alexander Girard. Moving away from the Eameses shell forms of the 1940s and exploring newly affordable aluminum, the designers constructed a lightweight, corrosion-resistant and die-cast frame. They wrapped the frame in a sling – a “sitting pocket” that subtly conforms to the body’s shape – and gave it a wide seat for leisurely sitting. Set on a five-point base, these chairs sit on tubular steel columns and swivel for easy entry and exit. This original is an authentic, fully licensed product of Herman Miller, Inc. Eames is a licensed trademark of Herman Miller. Made in U.S.A.